At #DRYMESTER, we’re encouraging mums-to-be to go alcohol free for the duration of their pregnancy as this is the safest approach for a healthy pregnancy. We’re also asking families, friends and local communities to get on board and show their support for mums-to-be this Christmas.
Here are just some of the ways you can support your loved one to go alcohol free.
- Sign up to #DRYMESTER and pledge to go alcohol free too. Showing solidarity throughout a partner’s pregnancy is the perfect Christmas gift.
- Encourage others to sign up to #DRYMESTER and pledge to go alcohol free for a set period of time. However long the pledge, the support will be welcomed by mums-to-be and may prevent a few unwanted hangovers for friends and family over the Christmas period.
- Don’t drink when out together in social situations. There’s nothing like the FOMO monster rearing its ugly head. Try and see things from a different perspective and go alcohol free for an evening!
- Bat away awkward alcohol conversations by letting people know that there is no safe time, or safe amount, to drink during pregnancy, and it’s not worth the risk.
- Take the lead by stocking up on a range of non-alcoholic drinks and offer these to friends and family when they visit. Impress away with your knowledge of exciting, alcohol free alternatives.
- Plan activities that don’t revolve around alcohol. Pregnancy can feel boring and isolating for some, so having social and recreational activities to look forward to can be just the ticket!
- Help reduce mum-to-be stress. Tiredness, as a symptom of pregnancy, can lead to irritation, lower resilience and increasing anxiety levels. Most times just talking things through, addressing concerns and providing help, can lighten the load.
It’s clear that the safest approach for healthier pregnancies is not to drink alcohol at all. But it’s also a win-win for you because there are lots of health improvements you can benefit from – sleeping better, losing weight, being more hydrated and enjoying higher energy levels. So, go on! Support your favourite mum-to-be this Christmas and raise an alcohol free glass or two, to celebrate the festive season in style.
To get you started, sign up to #DRYMESTER below to download all our helpful tips and resources.